30 Jan 2012

10-20-30 Training!

I have been reading a lot lately about the 10-20-30 training system and have decided to give it a go.

It's interval training where you walk or jog slow for 30 seconds, run at a normal speed for 20 seconds and then sprint for 10 seconds. This is done for five minutes, between two and five times in each session with two minutes rest between each five minute bout.

I'm still going to keep my hill training (for Madrid anyway) and my long run but will swop my short runs for the 10-20-30 system.
Test studies have shown an improvement of one minute for a 5k run using this system. I don't have anything to lose by trying it. In fact it should make my training a little more interesting :-)

By the time I start training for Berlin I will be able to see if I am improving my 5k and 10k times and can then decide to continue training this way or not.

Before I start I will run a test 5k as I am now and then run the same 5k every four weeks thereafter so we can see if I really am improving or not.

Of course, I will keep my blog up-to-date about the training.

To read more about this see 10-20-30 training

Wish me luck!!

1 comment: